Hot summers call for cold food. Even soups, traditionally served hot, are then transformed into icy liquid. One particular creation, that involves tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil and vinegar, has been invented under the name Gazpacho in the South of Portugal. During my stay in Portugal, I would frequently opt for this cold soup as a light meal around midday since the temperatures were high and I felt hot enough even without eating hot.
Gazpacho is the perfect summer meal. It is simple, quick and healthy. What is more, it tastes amazingly delicious! So delicious that even my family, who – except for me – generally preferred sweet treats for lunch in Portugal, yearned for a few spoonfuls of my soup.
As always, there exist plenty recipes for how to make the perfect Gazpacho. Today, you will learn a rather elaborate version with onions and bell pepper and without the traditional white bread. Yet, when it comes down to it, a good gazpacho can already be achieved by following these few rules:
- PIECES OF CHOPPED TOMATO. It is best to use a mix of tomato sauce and pieces of chopped tomato.
- Don’t forget the spices such as garlic, pepper and salt! Pepper and salt should be not be added before the repose, but before blending.
- ICE CUBES. Gazpacho is a cold soup and when I say cold, I mean really cold. In order to achieve chilliness, it is advised to not only let the soup rest in the refrigerator, but also add some ice cubes right before blending. Be nevertheless aware that your soup should be previously a little thick so that the melted cubes will not make it too runny.
As for decoration, feel free to top with crunchy croutons or fresh herbs. My recommendation would be oregano since this is the most popular herb in the Portuguese cuisine.
- 60 g onions
- 20 ml olive oil
- 600 g tomato sauce with pieces of chopped tomato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 150 g cucumber
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 splash of white wine vinegar
- Brown the onions in olive oil. In a mixing bowl, assemble all of the ingredients – including the onions. Let it sit in the refrigerator for approx. 1 h if possible.
- Before blending, season with pepper and salt as well as add a few ice cubes until you receive the right consistency (somewhere inbetween liquid and thick) and chilliness. Garnish with oregano.